En Español
Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, P.C Logo

What Should I Do If I am in an Accident in NY But Do Not Live There?

July 1, 2022
Totaled Car

Did you get into a car accident while visiting New York? You’re probably shocked, confused, scared, and panicking because you don’t know what you should do next. But whether you got into an accident across the country or in your home state, there are certain steps you need to take right away and the days after your accident.

What to Do Right After Getting Into a Car Accident in New York

As with all car accidents, report the accident to the police and call 911. Exchange contact details, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information with the other driver. Take pictures and videos of the damage to the cars, your injuries, and the general payout of the accident scene. Check if there are any witnesses and get their statements and contact information.

Make sure to seek medical attention as soon as you can, even if you feel fine. Do not wait to get home to get checked by your doctor. Head to the nearest hospital and follow up with your doctor back home. If the accident resulted in serious injuries, property damage, and related losses, you have the right to bring legal action against the negligent driver to pursue damages.

In most accident cases, legal claims follow the laws and procedures of the state where the accident occurred. It is also vital to note that your claim would be subject to the state’s statute of limitations for filing claims, which may be different from your home state’s deadline. This is why you must discuss your case with a local personal injury lawyer as soon as possible following your accident.

Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer for Your Case

If you got into an accident in New York but don’t live there, questions concerning the state’s legal system and where to seek legal advice will naturally arise. Should you hire a personal injury in your home state or hire one in New York because it’s where your accident happened? To ensure the best results for your case, you should seek legal advice from a personal injury lawyer who practices in the state where your accident occurred.

The primary reason for this is that you will get to work with a lawyer that’s licensed to practice in New York, where your case will be filed. Your New York personal injury lawyer will have the necessary knowledge of the state laws governing your case and the experience to navigate personal injury cases in the state.

In addition, working with a local lawyer will help your case because they will be able to leverage their personal connections. Your lawyer will be familiar with local judges, jury pools, accident experts, local police, and other relevant individuals that can play a crucial role in your case.

Connect With an Experienced NYC Personal Injury Lawyer Now

The best thing you can do to help make sure that you receive fair compensation for your losses if you get injured in an accident while visiting New York is to speak to a New York personal injury lawyer ASAP. Contact Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman to schedule your free case evaluation with our New York personal injury lawyer. Contact us online or dial 212-285-3300 for more information.


This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

"This law firm has great lawyers!" I had an accident and they got me what I deserved for my injury. They treat you like you are part of their family. If anyone needs a lawyer I will recommend this firm."