NYC Fatal Pedestrian Accidents
When you head out on foot, you do yourself and the environment a favor. Unfortunately, however, pedestrian accidents are among the most dangerous traffic accidents. If you’ve lost a loved one to a motorist’s negligence, although nothing can return your relative to you, a dedicated NYC wrongful death attorney can help you obtain the compensation you need to make the long journey toward healing.
There’s no denying that traffic in the City is nothing short of overwhelming. Drivers, nevertheless, owe every pedestrian on our streets a duty of reasonable care, and when a driver fails to uphold this duty, serious accidents can ensue. Unfortunately, driver negligence can take many dangerous forms, including:
- Distraction – When a motorist gets behind the wheel, that driver’s full attention must be trained on the road ahead and the traffic all around him or her. When a driver is distracted by anything other than driving safely, dangerous crashes are often the result. Now that more and more of us are inextricably attached to our smartphones, distraction-related accidents are on the rise. When you’re on your phone, your sight, thoughts, and even your hands are engaged in that activity, which leaves no room for driving safely – and pedestrians often pay the price.
- Speed – Excessive speed plays a critical role in many fatal accidents. Motorists who choose to exceed the speed limit endanger everyone with whom they share the road. It’s also important to recognize that speeding includes driving too fast for the conditions on the ground – including the effects of inclement weather and badly worn roads – even if the driver isn’t exceeding the posted speed limit.
- Impairment – Driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is always a terrible idea, but many drivers continue to engage in this often-deadly activity.
- Exhaustion – Drowsy drivers are not only at risk of falling asleep behind the wheel but are also at risk of simply being too distracted by their exhaustion to drive safely. Both are dangerous.
The damages associated with a fatal pedestrian accident can include all of the following:
- The medical expenses your loved one incurred before succumbing to the fatal accident
- Your loved one’s funeral and burial costs
- The wages and benefits lost by your loved one in the interim between pedestrian accident and succumbing to death
- The value of the services and support you lost with your loved one’s death
- The value of the lost parental nurturing, care, and guidance experienced by the decedent’s children
- The survivors’ lost inheritance
Our Dedicated NYC Wrongful Death Attorneys Are on Your Side
If someone else’s negligence causes you to lose a loved one in a fatal pedestrian accident, the experienced wrongful death attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman in New York City are committed to skillfully advocating for the compensation you need to successfully travel through the healing process. We care about your case, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 212-285-3300 for more information today.