New York Delivery Truck Accident Lawyers
NYC Accident Attorneys Helping People Hurt in Delivery Truck Crashes
With the rise of e-commerce, more and more trucks are making deliveries for people who have bought goods on Amazon and other online retailers. With so many delivery trucks on the streets, they are bound to get into accidents. And when they do, innocent motorists and pedestrians can suffer devastating injuries. For example, a pedestrian was struck in killed in Manhattan in Murray Hill in early 2019, just one of many accidents in recent years.
If you have been hurt in an accident, contact one of our Manhattan delivery truck accident lawyers for a free consultation.
The most recognizable delivery trucks are for the most well-known companies, such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL, which deliver packages every day of the week. Other well-known box vans or cube trucks include U-Haul, which individuals can rent when they need to haul furniture to a new apartment or house.
Box trucks typically weigh 12,000-30,000 pounds, so they are a little heavier than many passenger sedans. They are also much larger, in a bulky “box-like” shape. Some box trucks are very difficult to maneuver, and drivers can strike pedestrians when they are not careful.
Challenges Operating a Delivery Truck
Operating a delivery truck is often difficult because of the design of the truck. When someone rents and tries to drive a U-Haul, for example, they might be surprised by how different it is to drive when compared to a typical four-door sedan. Some of the unique challenges to delivery trucks include:
- Blind spots. The blind spots on these trucks are larger than on other passenger vehicles. Drivers need to use their mirrors and check their blind spot before changing lanes or streets.
- Rollovers/instability. A delivery truck typically has a higher center of gravity than other vehicles, which makes the truck vulnerable to rolling onto its side. Drivers must be careful taking corners.
- Maintenance issues. A fleet should be properly maintained with regular checkups. These trucks get a lot of use, and worn-out brake pads, faulty tires, and cracked windshields are common.
An inexperienced driver can easily make a mistake when driving one of these vehicles and end up causing serious injuries.
Companies like UPS, FedEx, and DHL should take care to hire the best people to drive for them. Unfortunately, some delivery truck drivers are careless on the job and, as a result, end up getting into collisions.
Driver error can include:
- Cell phone or smartphone use while driving
- Distracted driving
- Drug and alcohol use
- Time pressures
- Driving too fast for conditions
- Failure to yield
- Neglect to check all mirrors
When a delivery truck driver has negligently caused an accident, our clients are often able to sue both the driver and his employer for compensation.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a New York Delivery Truck Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured, or if a loved one has been killed, you might have a claim for compensation. Contact Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman today. We are a leading personal injury firm in New York City that has obtained hundreds of millions of dollars for our clients. To schedule a free consultation, call 917-813-3514 or complete our contact form.