NYC Breast Cancer Malpractice Lawyer
Our medical malpractice attorneys address this widespread problem.
Our team of breast cancer lawyers in NYC can offer you personal attention and expertise that are necessary when you are dealing with this life-altering diagnosis. You want to deal with a law firm that is sensitive and understanding to your needs at this difficult time, and that has the knowledge and experience which will result in a positive outcome.
Failing To Diagnose Breast Cancer In New York
Our breast cancer lawyers know the facts about breast cancer, its treatment and outcomes. We will work with competent medical specialists in the fields of gynecology, breast surgery, oncology, radiology or pathology depending on the individual facts and circumstances of your case to fully investigate whether there was a misdiagnosis or a delayed diagnosis as a result of medical malpractice. The NYC breast cancer lawyers of Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman are tough when it comes to fighting to get you the maximum recovery under the law while we are sensitive to your needs.
Patients trust and rely on their doctors to make timely and proper medical diagnoses and offer timely and proper treatment. When doctors and medical personnel fail to timely diagnose a condition correctly in a patient, the outcome can be devastating – even fatal. This is especially true when a doctor delays in diagnosing breast cancer.
The Effects Of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women in the United States and the second leading cause of death for all women. An estimated 178,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to occur among women in the United States during this year. An estimated 40,460 women will die from breast cancer during 2007 according to Susan G. Komen For The Cure.
Breast cancer is often first suspected when a lump is felt during a monthly breast self-exam (SBE) or a clinical breast exam by a physician or when an abnormal area is found on a mammogram. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), early detection of breast cancer saves many thousands of lives each year.
Early diagnosis of breast cancer is vital. If breast cancer is diagnosed and treated at an early stage before the cancer has spread or metastasized to the lymph nodes, the patients prognosis and chances of survival are significantly better. Delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer results in the loss of available treatment options and/or reduces the chances of survival. Our team of breast cancer lawyers will investigate all of the facts about your medical care and treatment.
The Dangers Of Misdiagnosis
Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis of breast cancer by a doctor or other medical professional can mean the difference between life and death.
Despite this, many women who develop breast cancer and could be treated are denied the opportunity when doctors and medical personnel negligently fail to diagnose their condition until it is too late.
The following are examples of negligence by doctors and medical personnel in failing to timely diagnose and/or treat breast cancer:
- Failing to listen to and heed the significance of the patient’s signs, symptoms and complaints
- Failing to perform or improperly performing a clinical breast examination which would have revealed a palpable lump or mass
- Failing to identify an apparent lump or ignoring, misidentifying or misdiagnosing a palpable lump as benign or failing to monitor the size and shape a palpable lump during a breast examination
- Failing to follow-up on an abnormal clinical breast examination
- Failing to recommend, order or refer patient for a mammogram
- Failing to properly interpret and read mammogram films
- Failing to follow-up on an abnormal mammogram finding or failing to react to abnormal mammogram findings
- When a lump is discovered, failing to timely recommend, order, refer or perform a breast sonogram or ultrasound, a fine needle aspiration, or a biopsy
- Relying upon a negative aspiration biopsy and failing to perform a surgical biopsy
- Failing to order follow-up or additional radiological testing, sonogram or ultrasound, or biopsy when appropriate
- Failing to notify and/or follow-up with a patient regarding the significance of the patients test results
- Failing to timely refer the patient to a breast surgeon
- Misreading the patients pathology slides
- Negligently performing a lumpectomy
Contact A Breast Cancer Failure To Diagnose Lawyer
The breast cancer lawyers of Lipsig, Shapey, Manus and Moverman can help you if you or someone you know has been diagnosed with breast cancer that you believe should have been diagnosed sooner, or you have lost a loved one to breast cancer.
We work on a contingency basis, which means that you don’t pay a cent until you receive compensation, at which point you are charged a percentage of the settlement.
There is no fee for our services unless a recovery is won.
We offer a free initial consultation. If you feel that you, or a family member, has been a victim of failure to diagnose and wish to bring legal action to compensate physical and emotional damages click here to contact our Failure to Diagnose lawyers for legal representation. You may also call 212-285-3300 for a free consultation.