New York City Crosswalk Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
NYC Personal Injury Attorneys Helping Injured Pedestrians Recover Compensation
Pedestrians can suffer very serious and traumatic injuries when a motor vehicle collides with them at an intersection crosswalk. Motor vehicles weigh many times the size of a pedestrian, and when a pedestrian strikes the ground in a collision, he or she could suffer a traumatic injury to the head, neck, back, or other body part. Potential injuries sustained in these pedestrian accidents can include bone fractures, spinal cord damage, paralysis, concussions, or death.
In some instances, an injured pedestrian might be able to hold an at-fault motor vehicle driver accountable for the accident, as well as for any significant or permanent injuries suffered.
A New York City pedestrian accident attorney at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, P.C. could help you determine your legal rights and assist you with a making a personal injury insurance claim or filing a lawsuit for the damages to which you are entitled.
Our skilled team of personal injury litigators represents accident victims throughout New York City, including in and around Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. Please give us a call today at 917-261-3488, or contact us online, to see how we could be of service to you.
How do Pedestrian Crosswalk Accidents Occur?
Pedestrian accidents that occur in crosswalks sometimes happen because of motor vehicle driver negligence. Common causes of pedestrian crosswalk accidents include:
- Running red lights — When a motor vehicle driver allows his or her vehicle to enter a traffic intersection on a red light and consequently strikes a pedestrian, serious injuries could result.
- Distracted driving — When motor vehicle drivers are paying too much attention to their cell phones and GPS devices rather than the road – especially near a traffic intersection – it is extremely easy for them to miss a pedestrian who is lawfully present at an intersection crosswalk.
- Drunk driving — When an individual chooses to operate his or her vehicle while intoxicated, that individual is more apt to drive in a careless manner — and to strike pedestrians in or around a traffic intersection.
- Aggressive driving A driver might be in a rush and believe they can speed through an intersection before the traffic reaches them. They misjudge either their speed or the distance and plow right into pedestrians.
- Poor visibility Motorists might not be able to see pedestrians when they enter the crosswalk, leading to tragic collisions.
- Unmarked crosswalks Motorists might not know that an intersection is a pedestrian crossing, so they are not on the lookout for foot traffic.
Can a Pedestrian be at Fault or Contribute to an Accident?
Many people do not cross the street where they are supposed to. Instead, they see an opening in traffic and shoot out into the road, hoping to make it to the other side safely. In many situations, this plan backfires, and the jaywalker ends up getting hit. There is a reason that New York City prohibits jaywalking: it endangers your life and the lives of others if vehicles swerve to avoid you.
Can you sue for compensation if you were jaywalking?
We receive this question often. Actually, it depends on the circumstances. New York recognizes the concept of comparative fault, which applies when more than one person has been negligent. If you were jaywalking, you were very likely negligent, but the driver might have been at fault, also. For example, a speeding driver or one who is intoxicated or distracted has not operated their vehicle with sufficient care, so you might be able to sue them for compensation.
Pedestrian accidents are often more complicated than injured victims might think. In addition to analyzing liability, you also need an experienced attorney who can find helpful evidence and negotiate a favorable settlement.
Contact the lawyers at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman today. We have protected the rights of pedestrians in the Bronx and other boroughs for several decades, and we are here for you. To schedule a free consultation with one of our New York City pedestrian accident lawyers, call 917-261-3488 or send us a message at your convenience.