Improper Passing or Turning
Driving comes with inherent risks, but we are never so vulnerable as when we leave the lane we are traveling in to pass another motorist or to turn onto another road. When motorists fail to follow the rules of the road as they apply to passing and turning, they leave everyone on the roadway at greater risk of being injured. If another driver leaves you injured in an accident involving improper passing or turning, consult with an experienced NYC car accident attorney today.
Intersections are where traffic moving in every possible direction converges, and this makes them far more prone to serious traffic accidents. When a driver turns left in an intersection, he or she must cross the paths of oncoming cars, and – as such – there are many more opportunities to make dangerous errors in judgment. When a motorist leaves his lane of traffic to turn either left or right (whether at an intersection or not), the driver disrupts the flow of traffic, which sets the stage for accidents if the driver does not proceed with the utmost caution, which includes:
- Drivers are responsible for letting other motorists know that they are preparing to turn, which means hitting the blinkers ahead of time and slowing down in preparation.
- Even if a motorist has a green turn light, he or she is responsible for taking the traffic that’s already on the road and in the intersection (including pedestrians and bicyclists) into careful consideration. A green light is not a free pass to go ahead and make the turn no matter what.
Passing is another occasion when motorists leave their lanes, which increases the risk of accidents happening. Improper passing can take any number of dangerous forms, but the following are prime examples:
- When motorists fail to use their blinkers to signal their intentions, they leave other motorists in the lurch.
- Motorists who fail to yield the right-of-way correctly disrupt the flow of traffic and make accidents far more likely.
- Motorists who pass in no-passing areas and who flout other rules of the road, such as passing on the right, put everyone at greater risk.
- Motorists who blindly barrel forward without checking for traffic in their midst – and without specifically checking their blind spots – greatly increase the odds that a dangerous accident will ensue.
Don’t Wait to Consult with an Experienced New York City Car Accident Attorney
Car accidents that are caused by improper turning or passing are often exceptionally serious, but the accomplished car accident attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman in New York City are well-positioned to help. We are one of the oldest and most well-respected personal injury firms in the City, and – with 8 decades of experience backing us up – you can trust us to zealously defend your rights in pursuit of your case’s most beneficial resolution. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 212-285-3300 for more information today.