NYC Fatal Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Wrongful Death Lawyers in NYC Helping Families Recover Compensation After A Catastrophic Accident
Heading out on a motorcycle is a great way to get around, and as the weather turns milder, many bike enthusiasts are hitting the road. Motorcycle accidents, however, are among the deadliest on our roadways. When negligent motorists fail to see – or to share the road safely with – motorcyclists in their midst, the motorcyclists nearly always pay the price. If you’ve lost a loved one to a motorcycle accident that was caused by another motorist’s negligence, you need an experienced NYC wrongful death attorney on your side.
The Elements of a Wrongful Death Case
To establish a wrongful death claim in the State of New York, you must be able to prove the following elements:
- The defendant acted negligently.
- That negligence caused the decedent’s death.
- A spouse, child, dependent, or other beneficiary survived the decedent.
- The survivors suffered financial damage as a result of the death.
Motorcycle accidents are exceedingly dangerous accidents that are often caused by the negligence of other motorists. Such negligence can include:
- Distraction – Smartphone usage is the most prevalent and dangerous distraction.
- Impairment – Drivers who are impaired by alcohol and/or drugs are dangerous drivers.
- Aggression – The most common and dangerous form of aggressive driving is excessive speeding.
- Exhaustion – Drowsy drivers endanger everyone with whom they share the road.
Motorcycles take up much less space on the road than do other vehicles, which makes them harder to see and more vulnerable to serious accidents. Further, a motorcyclist lacks the protective shell that other vehicles have, and nothing but the motorcyclists’ helmet and safety gear come between the biker and the impact of an accident.
Wrongful Death Damages
For wrongful death claims in New York, the damages covered include:
- The decedent’s economic loss (including medical expenses and lost wages) and pain and suffering – spanning from the time of the accident until his or her subsequent death
- The survivors’ loss of support – such as earnings into the future – and services – such as childcare
- The decedent’s children’s loss of parental nurturing, guidance, and education
- The reduction in the inheritance that the victim would have left
Survivors cannot, however, recover on their own grief or pain and suffering.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim in NYC?
If you’ve lost a loved one to someone else’s negligence, you may be able eligible to file a wrongful death case in the State of New York if any of the following apply:
- You are the decedent’s spouse.
- You are the decedent’s child.
- You are the decedent’s parent.
- You are the personal representative for the decedent’s estate.
Discuss Your Case with an Experienced NYC Wrongful Death Attorney Today
If you’ve lost a loved one to someone else’s negligence, the dedicated wrongful death attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman in New York City are committed to skillfully advocating on behalf of the compensation to which you are entitled. Our formidable legal team has decades of experience successfully guiding cases like yours toward favorable resolutions. Your case is important, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 212-285-3300 for more information today.