En Español
Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, P.C Logo

New York City Trip & Fall Accident Lawyers

NYC Construction Accident Attorneys Helping Individuals Injured in Slip and Fall Accidents

Each year, countless people are sent to the emergency room because of a slip and fall. Trip and fall accidents can happen anywhere—in a business, in a private home, or out on public property. If you have fallen, you probably need compensation for your injuries. Speak to a New York City premises liability attorney to review your case.

Causes of Trip and Fall Accidents

Many different hazards can cause a person to trip and fall, but our attorneys do tend to see some common patterns.

In a store or other business, customers can trip on:

  • Debris in the aisles
  • Matts on the floor
  • Debris in the parking lot
  • Floor transitions (such as a transition from hardwood to carpeting)

On private property, it is easy to trip on:

  • Cracks in the driveway
  • Power cords or wires crossing the floor
  • Buckled floorboards
  • Uneven floorboards
  • Trip hazards in public can include:
  • Cracks in the sidewalk
  • Potholes
  • Roots growing through the sidewalk
  • Construction or other debris that has not been cleaned up

After an accident, make sure to take a picture of the hazard that caused you to trip. Use your smartphone if you have one on you; otherwise, ask a bystander if he or she can take a snap. Obtaining a picture makes it much easier to obtain compensation because you can prove the hazard existed and you did not trip over your own feet.

Premises Liability Law

Under New York law, property owners owe a duty of care to those who visit the property. What the owner needs to do depends on the circumstances and why you are on the property. If you are a business customer, for example, the owner owes you the highest duty of care because they have invited you to come into their business.

By contrast, if you were on someone’s property without permission, then you are owed less care, especially if the property owner has no idea you were there. Children might be owed a higher duty of care, even if a child is trespassing.

In some states, the duties owed rely on a rigid classification of your “status” on the property, whether as an invitee, licensee, or trespasser. New York’s law is more flexible; in the words of our highest court, the duty owed is “ reasonable care under the circumstances.” Meet with a New York City premises liability lawyer to review the unique facts of your case.

Suing the City or State

If you were injured in public, you have an uphill battle to get compensation. Bringing a claim against the government is not the same as suing a private person, and you need a lawyer who understands the unique requirements. You also should not delay meeting for a free consultation, since you have tight deadlines.

Speak with a Premises Liability Lawyer in New York City Today

Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman is one of the original personal injury firms in the city. Our experience is wide and deep, and we have obtained over $800 million collectively for our clients. We can help you bring a claim for compensation if you call 917-268-2985 or fill out our contact form.


This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

"This law firm has great lawyers!" I had an accident and they got me what I deserved for my injury. They treat you like you are part of their family. If anyone needs a lawyer I will recommend this firm."