New York Doctor Negligence Lawyers
Doctor negligence accounts for a large portion of medical malpractice cases. The personal injury law firm Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, P.C. has handled hundreds of cases of injuries and fatalities due to doctor negligence and understands the devastating consequences victims and their loved ones must face as a result.
Doctor Negligence Is Medical Malpractice
Doctors are legally bound to provide medical care in accord with the accepted standards of practice in the medical community. When a doctor is negligent and does not meet that standard of practice, resulting in an injury to a patient, the doctor may be found to have committed medical malpractice.
Many Examples Of Doctor Negligence
Patients place their trust and their health – even their futures – in the hands of their doctors, expecting them to act in accord with medical standards. However, some doctors are negligent or even reckless in the performance of their jobs, and examples of doctor negligence abound. Some of the more common instances include:
- misdiagnosis of a life-threatening condition
- failure to treat the patient’s condition, or treating a patient for the wrong condition
- removing an organ or body part unnecessarily
- performing a surgery when it is not necessary
- surgery on the wrong limb, at the wrong site, or on the wrong patient
- accidents during surgery
- leaving a surgical instrument inside a patient after surgery
- improper reading of x-rays or other imaging technology such as CAT scans or MRI
- failure to have the patient undergo necessary tests or procedures
- failure to screen an at-risk patient correctly
- failure to obtain the patient’s consent for a medical procedure
Legal Action Following A Doctor’s Negligence
Although thousands of legal actions alleging medical malpractice are initiated every year in the United States, most of these legal claims are settled out of court. Proving an instance of medical negligence is a very time-consuming and often lengthy process, in part because doctors and hospitals do not generally readily admit to having provided substandard medical care.
Contact An NYC Doctor’s Negligence Attorney
The New York medical malpractice attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman are highly skilled at negotiating settlements and litigating in court to obtain the best possible outcome for their clients. Contact our offices to discuss your circumstances with a NYC doctors negligence attorney and learn more about your rights as a patient or a family member of someone who has been harmed by doctor negligence.