New York City Fatal Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
We Help Families Recover Compensation after Fatal Pedestrian Accidents
Pedestrians are easily the most vulnerable groups of people when it comes to serious traffic accidents. When a vehicle hits a person who is walking, the pedestrian is likely to suffer extremely serious injuries. In fact, fatal pedestrian accidents are on the rise. If you’ve lost a loved one to someone else’s negligence in a pedestrian accident, consult with an experienced New York City wrongful death attorney today.
Pedestrian Accidents: The Statistics
TheCenters for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) shares several telling statistics related to fatal pedestrian accidents, including:
- In 2017, nearly 6,000 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in the U.S., which amounts to roughly one pedestrian death every 88 minutes.
- The driver in 17 percent of all fatal pedestrian accidents in 2017 was impaired by alcohol.
- The higher the motorist’s speed, the more likely that a pedestrian will be struck in the first place and that his or her injuries will be severe or even fatal.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) puts an even finer point on the matter with the following statistics:
- In 2017, 16 percent of all traffic fatalities were pedestrian deaths. In New York (one of the states with the highest percentages), a full 24 percent of all traffic fatalities were pedestrians.
- A full 91 percent of pedestrian traffic fatalities happened in single-car accidents (a motorist who hits a pedestrian).
- Almost 20 percent of pedestrian fatalities in 2017 involved hit-and-run motorists.
- 2018 saw a 3 percent increase overall in the number of pedestrian fatalities. This number, 6,283, is the highest since 1990.
These statistics tell a grim story about a trend we’re seeing regarding pedestrian safety, and as theNHTSA points out, at one time or another, everyone is a pedestrian.
Driver Negligence and Pedestrian Accidents
At the heart of many pedestrian fatalities is driver negligence, which can come in many dangerous forms. Some of the most common include:
- Impairment – Driving while under the influence of alcohol is a phenomenally dangerous practice that played a role in 17 percent of all pedestrian fatalities in 2017.
- Speed – The statistics demonstrate that increased speed is closely associated with increased danger for pedestrians.
- Distraction – Distracted drivers are far more likely to fail to see pedestrians in their midst (especially at intersections).
- Exhaustion – Exhaustion makes paying close attention to the road ahead that much more difficult, and pedestrians can pay the ultimate price.
Motorists are responsible for sharing our roads safely with everyone who travels on them, and this includes pedestrians. The fact that drivers in almost 20 percent of accidents causing pedestrian fatalities leave the scene is indicative of many motorists’ failure to adhere to this important duty of care to pedestrians.
An Experienced NYC Wrongful Death Attorney Can Help
If you’ve lost a loved one to a motorist’s negligence, the dedicated wrongful death attorneys atLipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman in NYC have the experience, compassion, and commitment to help. While no amount of compensation can return your loved one to you, obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled can help you and your family make the difficult journey toward healing. Our legal roots date back more than 80 years, and our experience and dedication show. We’re on your side, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 212-285-3300 for more information today.