Do You Need a Police Report after a Slip and Fall Accident in NYC?
Slip and fall accidents are notoriously dangerous and can lead to chronic health concerns. If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident that was caused by the business’s negligence, the last thing on your mind is probably obtaining a police report, but requesting that the police be called in to issue a report is in the best interest of your case. Consult with an experienced NYC personal injury attorney today.
Even if Your Accident Seems Relatively Minor
You’ve slipped and fallen in a business, and you are likely experiencing a lot of conflicting feelings and emotions, including:
- The physical pain caused by the injury itself (although the adrenaline surge invoked by the accident may decrease this pain)
- The embarrassment of having fallen in the first place (we’re all quick to blame ourselves even when someone else’s negligence is the direct cause)
- The desire to minimize the fuss associated with the accident
These all add up to a recipe for not attributing the full extent of damages you’ve suffered to the accident at hand.
Reconsidering the Facts
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, there are some important facts that may help you better understand the ramifications of that accident, including:
- Even serious injuries can be slow to present with symptoms, which allows them time to develop into something even more serious and more difficult to treat.
- If something caused you to slip, such as a spill, uneven flooring, or a cluttered walkway, the business – because it failed to remedy the danger – is very likely legally responsible for your damages.
- Always put your health first and seek immediate medical attention after a slip and fall accident. This is not only in the best interest of your health but is also in the best interest of your case.
Request that the Police be Called
If you’ve slipped and fallen on the premises of a building, you may be inclined to draw less attention to yourself – rather than more, but it really is to your advantage to request that the police be called. The police will document the particulars of your accident, and the resulting police record will corroborate your official statement about the accident. The attending officer will take eyewitness statements and record any code violations or obvious tripping hazards that may have played a role in your accident – all of which can go a long way toward bolstering your accident claim.
Our Well-Respected NYC Legal Team Has the Experience and Commitment to Help You
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall accident, the dynamic legal team at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman in New York City is poised and ready to help. Over many decades, we’ve earned our superior reputation one case at a time, and we’re committed to helping you. Bringing your strongest case is important, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 212-285-3300 to schedule a consultation today.