NYC Defective Products Wrongful Death Lawyers
Wrongful Death Lawyers in New York City Helping Family Members of People Killed by Defective Products
Every month, dozens of products are recalled by manufacturers due to hazards posed to consumers. Some products catch on fire, explode, or otherwise fail to work as a consumer would expect, and people end up in the emergency room. In some tragic incidents, consumers are even killed by defective products.
At our firm, we understand how shocking it is to lose a loved one in an accident. When a defective product causes death, you might not know what to do or who to turn to. Let one of our NYC wrongful death attorneys help you build a case against the manufacturer.
Defective Products Claim Lives
Any product can be defective in design, manufacture, or marketing. However, some of the more common include:
- Automobile parts, such as brakes, airbags, steering systems, and seat belts
- Medical devices, such as pacemakers and mesh
- Children’s products, including high chairs, booster seats, and cribs
- Items of clothing, which can catch on fire or pose a choking hazard in children
- Industrial products and machinery
- Furniture, which can tip over and trap small children
If a loved one died and you suspect that a hazardous product is to blame, then you should meet with an attorney right away. Many of our clients can bring wrongful death suits for compensation, but they need legal help.
Why Defective Products Fail
Most products work as intended. Those that fail too often are defective for one of the following reasons:
- Defective design. Something about the design makes the product dangerous. For example, a child’s highchair might have legs that are too far apart, which increases instability. Although most products are tested before they get to market, some of them end up being very dangerous.
- Defective manufacture. There might be a defect in a single item of manufacture, although other items in the product line are okay. Imagine if a highchair that you buy has a screw missing on one of the legs. The chair collapses due to a manufacturing defect, not a design defect.
- Marketing defect. Some products have inaccurate labels or instructions or are missing key safety warnings. The product would otherwise be reasonably safe, but these defects make it very dangerous for the average consumer.
It is not important that family members identify the defect. Instead, you should hopefully preserve the product that fatally injured your loved one so that an attorney can review it, possibly with the help of an expert witness.
Legal Liability in New York for Defective Products
When a product is defective, New York assigns liability to the manufacturer, and our clients do not even need to show that the manufacturer intentionally or even negligently injured their loved one. Instead, New York imposes strict liability for product defects on manufacturers, which is how the law should be written. Depending on the circumstances, surviving family members might be able to sue other parties as well.
Contact an NYC Wrongful Death Attorney Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation
Our lawyers have tackled some of the most complicated product liability cases around. At this difficult time, you need a member of Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman to represent you. Call 917-268-2985 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free consultation with an attorney.