Brooklyn Truck Accident Attorneys
Seasoned Truck Accident Lawyers in Brooklyn Committed to Protecting Your Rights
Trucks can be seen all around New York City, including Brooklyn. They are delivering packages straight to people’s doorsteps or transporting goods out of the borough to the rest of the nation.
Trucks are very dangerous vehicles, however, which because of their size and weight are difficult to maneuver. They can cause serious injuries when they strike a pedestrian or crash into a passenger sedan.
If you have been injured in a truck wreck, please contact our law firm directly. One of our Brooklyn truck accident lawyers will gladly meet with you to discuss your options for compensation.
Types of Trucks
Trucks come in many different shapes and sizes:
- Tractor-trailers or 18- wheelers
- Cargo trucks
- Delivery trucks used by Fed Ex, UPS, and the US Postal Service
- Dump trucks
- Garbage trucks
Most trucks are operated by private companies, though some garbage trucks might belong to the city. These trucks can be seen on all Brooklyn roads at any hour of the day or night, and pedestrians must be very careful around them.
Truck Accident Injuries
Truck accidents can cause serious injuries, including:
- Whiplash or other neck injury
- Back injuries
- Concussions or other traumatic brain injury
- Broken bones
- Friction burns
- Spinal cord injuries
Receive prompt medical treatment. If you are so badly injured at the scene, ask someone to call emergency services to take you to the hospital. It is not unusual for truck accidents to be so violent that some victims are rendered unconscious, so offer aid and assistance if you see an accident victim in need.
Causes of Truck Accidents
Many truck accidents are caused by negligence. When a truck driver has been negligent, a victim can sue for compensation. Truck drivers are often negligent for the following reasons:
- Distracted driving. The driver might be looking at a cell phone or trying to look for an address when the vehicle is in motion. As a result, he is not looking at the road and can crash into a pedestrian, cyclist, or motorist.
- Time pressures. Truck delivery drivers are under intense pressure to get packages delivered. This pressure can cause them to drive too fast or tailgate, leading to accidents.
- A driver might use drugs, alcohol, or prescription drugs which can cause impaired reflexes and poor judgment.
- Truck defect. Defective brakes can fail, causing a truck to go out of control.
The person you sue depends on the facts. Truck companies are responsible for the actions of their employees, so any time a truck driver is liable the truck company is as well. If the delivery driver is an independent contractor, you can sometimes still sue the trucking company if they exercise sufficient control over the driver.
Speak to a Brooklyn Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Truck accidents victimize many people in our community, leading mammoth medical bills and sometimes loss of life. If you or a loved one has been injured, contact Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman today. Our team has recovered over $800 million for our clients, and we will use our experience to maximize the amount of compensation you walk away with.
Contact us today by calling 212-285-3300 or filling out this contact form.