Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Our Brooklyn Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Protect the Rights of the Injured
Many neighborhoods in Brooklyn are known for being among the most walkable in the nation. According to Curbed New York, Boerum Hill has a walk score of 98, and residents can walk to almost 30 different coffee shops, restaurants, and bars within 5 minutes. Of course, not all neighborhoods in Brooklyn are so pedestrian-friendly, but people can be seen walking everywhere in the borough, whether to school, work, or to the store.
Unfortunately, many pedestrians are also injured in Brooklyn, as they are around the city. The Mayor’s safety plan to reduce pedestrian accidents to zero seems to be bearing fruit, though pedestrian deaths and injuries are still too high.
If you have been injured as a pedestrian, you should immediately procure medical care. Then reach out to one of our pedestrian accident lawyers in Brooklyn for a free case evaluation.
Why Pedestrian Accidents Happen
Pedestrian accidents are usually the fault of the pedestrian, a motorist, or both. They can happen at intersections during night or day, or while a pedestrian is jaywalking. Many pedestrians experience near-misses that, although scary, do not result in physical injuries. But others are struck forcefully by a passing vehicle and need to go to the hospital.
Looking only at accidents caused by motorists, we can see some common causes:
- Driver inattention. A motorist might not be paying attention and not expect a pedestrian to step out in front of their vehicle. Drivers can become distracted by their electronic devices like their cell phones, or by children, pets, or the food they are eating.
- Risky behavior. A driver might be in a hurry and try to blow by pedestrians in a crosswalk.
- A driver might think there is more room available to pass pedestrians in the crosswalk than there really is.
When a motorist is to blame for the accident, he or she can be sued for compensation.
How to Protect Yourself as a Pedestrian
Walking can be risky, though we don’t think of it in those terms. Every pedestrian owes themselves a duty to decrease the chances of accidents. Some safety tips that are easy to adopt include:
- Don’t step into the crosswalk without looking both ways to be sure traffic has stopped. Some motorists will ignore lights or signs telling them to stop.
- Don’t step into the crosswalk unless you have enough time to get across. If 1 second remains, you shouldn’t plunge into the crosswalk since there is not enough time to get across.
- Make yourself visible. At night, you can walk with a flashlight or wear something reflective. Put reflective tape on your backpack or jacket.
If you are hit by a car, contact the police. The motorist who hit you should stop and render assistance. If the driver speeds away, try to get as much information as you can, such as the car’s color, make, and model, as well as the license plate number. Someone who saw you get hit might get the license plate number.
Speak to a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Brooklyn Today
Pedestrians who are struck by trucks and cars often suffer terrible injuries. Without any protection, they can break bones, suffer head injuries, and end up paralyzed.
For help bringing a claim for compensation, contact Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, one of the oldest personal injury law firms in the city. We are happy to provide a free consultation to those who call 917-268-0344 or who submit our contact form.