Brooklyn Catastrophic Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Lawyers in Brooklyn Helping Victims of Catastrophic Injuries Recover
Catastrophic injuries can leave many victims with lifetime medical bills and other struggles, including problems returning to work and earning a living. A catastrophic injury is anything that limits a person’s mobility or cognition and can include the following:
- Spinal cord & paralysis. Any damage to the spinal cord can permanently impair a person’s movement or sensation. Victims can sometimes learn new ways of performing household tasks, like bathing and dressing, but other victims will need help with daily tasks for the rest of their life.
- Brain injuries. Brain injuries can permanently limit a person’s ability to think, remember, or process language. Serious traumatic brain injuries might leave a person in permanent need of at-home help.
- Amputations. Limbs can need to be amputated after being crushed in accidents or when fractured bones lead to massive blood loss and tissue death.
- Third-degree burns. Bad burns can lead to amputation and require several rounds of painful skin graft surgeries. In many cases, victims are left with permanent scarring.
- Nerve damage. Nerves can be permanently damaged in accidents, especially when patients do not receive immediate medical care. A compressed nerve, for example, can die if the pressure is not relieved.
These and other catastrophic injuries can leave many of our patients with a lifetime of expensive medical bills and no way to pay them.
Challenges for Victims and Family Members
Caring for someone with a catastrophic injury is often frustrating. In addition to their physical or mental limitations, many accident victims struggle emotionally. They can “explode” at family members, who are ill-equipped to handle the sudden and dramatic changes in their loved ones.
Intense emotional distress often accompanies catastrophic injuries, and this distress warrants compensation. A person whose spouse has suffered a catastrophic injury can also experience unwelcome and permanent changes to their marital relationship, such as a loss of sexual intimacy or isolation. Fortunately, New York law lets spouses bring a “loss of consortium” claim to compensation for these negative changes.
How a Brooklyn Catastrophic Injury Attorney Can Help
The challenge with catastrophic injuries is receiving full and fair compensation for our client’s medical needs. These injuries typically require a lifetime of care, including future surgeries or rehabilitation. Some clients need an at-home attendant to help with chores around the home.
It is very easy for someone without legal training to agree to a settlement that is much too small. However, once a victim agrees to a settlement, they will likely sign away their right to bring a suit in the future for the same accident. Victims have one shot at getting the maximum compensation they can to pay for their future care.
A Brooklyn catastrophic injuries lawyer at our firm can meet to review your medical care and other expenses directly attributable to the accident that injured you. We can also identify who is to blame for the accident and negotiate a settlement with them. If negotiations break down, we can file a lawsuit in court.
Speak with a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Brooklyn Today
Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman has decades of experience fighting for our clients. Our results are impressive: over $800 million obtained for our clients. For help with your case, contact us today at 917-268-0344.