Brooklyn Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicycle Accident Attorneys in Brooklyn Helping Victims Recover Compensation
Cyclists can be seen everywhere in Brooklyn, going to and from work or school but also delivering packages as couriers. Many people enjoy riding a bicycle on the weekend, especially during the warmer weather.
With this many cyclists on the road, accidents are bound to happen. Unfortunately, many motorists in Brooklyn and in other boroughs are not paying attention and slam into cyclists out of negligence. If you or a loved one has been injured in a Brooklyn bicycle accident, contact our law firm right away.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
Many of our clients are injured in the following accidents:
- Rear-end collisions. A cyclist might be stopped at an intersection when a motorist comes up behind and slams into them because they weren’t even looking.
- Left-hand turns. A cyclist could be behind a larger vehicle as another car waits in an intersection to make a left-hand turn. The motorist does not think anyone is behind the vehicle, so the driver makes a quick left-hand turn and slams into the cyclist.
- Open door accidents. A motorist or passenger could open the door to a parked vehicle without looking over their shoulder to see if any cyclists are coming. When this occurs, the bicyclist slams into the opened door and is thrown to the ground.
- Sideswipes. A motorist might try to pass a cyclist and end up getting too close, leading them to swipe them.
These and other accidents can leave cyclists with terrible injuries, including broken bones, skin abrasions, traumatic brain injuries, back injuries, and spinal cord damage. Please get to a hospital immediately.
What to Do after a Brooklyn Bicycle Accident
If a motorist is to blame for the crash, you can typically make a claim on their insurance policy. However, you will need evidence that helps establish fault as well as your own injuries. After a collision, try to do the following if you are able:
- Ask for the driver’s name, contact information, and insurance information.
- Get pictures of the damage to the motor vehicles involved in the crash, as well as damage to your bicycle. These pictures can help establish how the accident happened.
- Call the police to have an officer come out and write a police report.
- Identify witnesses to the accident and get their names and contact information. They might provide helpful testimony later.
- Avoid having your bicycle immediately repaired.
- Take pictures of your injuries soon after leaving the hospital. Vivid pictures of cuts, lacerations, and bruises are very effective at driving home how badly injured you are.
A word about insurance adjusters: avoid immediately agreeing to a settlement, no matter how generous it appears, and don’t give a recorded statement about what happened without speaking to a lawyer first. Sometimes, people say things they don’t really mean, and these statements cost them money in the long run.
Speak to a Brooklyn Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman is the only firm to call after a collision. One of our Brooklyn bicycle accident lawyers will meet with you for a free case evaluation if you call 917-268-0344 or submit this contact form.