Bronx Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Pedestrian Accident Attorneys in the Bronx Protecting Victims’ Rights
All traffic accidents are dangerous accidents, but pedestrian accidents are among the deadliest. The fact is that when you head out on foot, absolutely nothing comes between you and the impact of an accident. As traffic continues to increase and motorists continue to engage in more distracted driving, pedestrians – and we’re nearly all pedestrians at some point – are increasingly at risk of being seriously injured. If you’ve been injured in a pedestrian accident, an experienced Bronx personal injury lawyer can help.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Pedestrian accidents are not only exceedingly dangerous but also happen a lot. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shares Traffic Safety Facts for 2017 that highlight the problem. The statistics include:
- In 2017, nearly 6,000 pedestrians died in traffic accidents in the United States.
- On average in 2017, a pedestrian was killed in a traffic accident every 88 minutes in the United States.
- In 2017, 16 percent of all traffic fatalities were pedestrians.
Staying Safe While on Foot
When you are hoofing it around the city, it’s important to make safety your top priority. While pedestrians generally have the right of way, it’s always better to be safe than sorry – and an ounce of prevention is worth at least a pound of cure when it comes to pedestrian accidents. Staying safe out there includes:
- Wearing a piece of outerwear that is brightly colored (when walking in the day) and incorporates reflective fabric (when walking at night)
- Wearing comfortable shoes that fit well and that have good traction
- Avoiding walking at night whenever possible
- Planning your trip ahead of time by determining the safest route with the fewest crosswalks (where most dangerous accidents happen)
- Always choosing pedestrian walkways when they are available
- Crossing streets with groups of people rather than on your own (it’s easier for motorists to see a group of pedestrians in their midst)
- Always adhering to pedestrian traffic signs, signals, and lights
- Never stepping into a crosswalk if traffic does not appear to be slowing down appropriately – even if the light indicates that you have the right of way
- Making eye contact with the driver at the intersection you are crossing to help ensure that he or she is paying attention
- Paying attention to what’s going on around you (putting your phone away because walking while distracted is dangerous)
- Never walking on the road unless it is absolutely necessary to do so – and then walking against traffic on the road’s shoulder (as far from the road as possible)
- If there is no crosswalk or intersection, choosing a visible spot to cross from (don’t come from between parked cars or out of an alley), waiting for a lull in traffic, and making your way purposefully across the street – checking for traffic as you go
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a Bronx Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Pedestrian accidents often lead to extremely serious injuries, but the dedicated personal injury attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman – proudly serving the Bronx – are committed to skillfully advocating for your rights and for your rightful compensation. Ours is one of the area’s oldest and most recognizable firms, so please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 917-268-0344 for more information today.