Bronx Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bicycle Crash Attorneys in the Bronx Helping Victims Recover Compensation
Getting around our borough on bike can be super convenient, is inexpensive, and is great for the environment and your health, but it can also be quite dangerous. The fact is that when you’re on your bike, you have absolutely nothing to protect you from the impact of a traffic accident other than your helmet. Because you join the flow of traffic when you’re on your bike, it makes things that much more precarious. If a negligent driver leaves you injured in a bike accident, you need the professional legal counsel of an experienced Bronx personal injury attorney on your side.
Bike Accidents: The Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) shares important statistics related to bicycle accidents, including:
- In 2018, 857 bicyclists were killed in traffic accidents.
- This number increased more than 6 percent over the previous year.
- Bike fatalities happen most often between the hours of 6 and 9 PM
- Bike fatalities are most common in urban areas.
- 37 percent of all bike fatalities involved alcohol.
Dangerous bike accidents happen, and they are on the rise.
Attention to Safety
NHTSA shares that your first line of defense against being injured in a bike accident is consistently wearing a helmet that fits properly. There are, however, a variety of other steps you can take to help you stay safe out there, some of the most important of which include:
- Ride a bike that isn’t too large for you (a bike that’s too big is more difficult to control).
- Make sure your bike is in good repair – if your brakes are faulty, for example, it makes it far more difficult to bike safely.
- Wear bright colors when riding in the day and a piece of outerwear that is reflective when riding at night.
- Make sure your bike has the appropriate safety lights and that they are in good working order.
- Plan your route ahead of time and choose routes that have less traffic and lower speed limits.
- Always use bike paths or bike lanes when they are available.
Additionally, it’s important to ride defensively, which includes:
- Ride with traffic’s flow and in the direction of traffic.
- Obey all posted traffic signs, signals, and lights,
- Assume that the drivers around you don’t see you, and ride accordingly.
- Ride in a manner that is predictable – don’t dart into traffic, change lanes suddenly, or do anything else that is likely to startle motorists in your midst.
- Put your phone – and any other distractions – away.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Free Consultation with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in the Bronx
Bike accidents are extremely dangerous events. If a negligent motorist leaves you injured in a bike accident, the dedicated legal team at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman – proudly serving the Bronx – is here to help. Ours is among the city’s longest standing and best-established firms, and our experienced personal injury attorneys are committed to fighting for your rights in pursuit of the compensation to which you are entitled. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 212-285-3300 today.