En Español
Hit and run
29 September 2017

September 29, 2017- Accident Report Roundup

This week’s accident report includes construction and vehicle-related accidents as well as a ruling on a wrongful death lawsuit.

Construction Workers Die Hours Apart In Manhattan

On Thursday, September 21, 2017, two construction accidents that happened on the same day in Manhattan, once again raised the ongoing issue of construction safety.

The two accidents left two construction workers dead just hours apart. The Department of Buildings confirmed that at one of the accident sites, this was the second death this year alone.

The first accident happened as a result of a veteran construction worker dying in a 29-story plunge from a luxury waterfront condo development. The development is in the Financial District. The victim was a 43-year-old father of five from Ecuador.

His coworkers stated the construction worker was well trained in safety and had worked on a lot of projects similar to this development in the past. This time he, unfortunately, lost his balance before the fall. According to fire officials, the worker was actually wearing a harness when he fell from the 29th floor. However, his harness was not clipped in. His fall landed him on a scaffold bridge that was above the sidewalk. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A DOB spokesperson said the workers were installing molds in order to pour concrete for the 29th floor of the tower when the accident took place. In this accident, the Department Of Buildings website showed a complaint filed very recently before this accident occurred, over possible unsafe crane operation. However, a spokesperson stated that it had nothing to do with this 29-story fall.

On the same day later in the afternoon, two workers fell from a bucket lift from the third floor at 400 W. 33rd St. on Ninth Avenue.

One of the workers who died was a 45-year-old man. According to witnesses, the two workers looked like they were wearing harnesses but they were not secured to the bucket. This site, in particular, had been the scene of another worker’s death in June.

A spokesperson for the construction company the two workers worked for stated that the two fell as a boom was descending.

Pedestrian Struck And Killed On FDR

Hit and run

On Wednesday, 27 September 2017, a 69-year-old woman was struck and killed by a car on the FDR. Her accident created a chain-reaction crash which left part of FDR Drive shut down on Wednesday night.

Authorities later stated that the woman was hit while she was in the northbound lanes of the highway close to East 96th street around 9.45 p.m. When the woman was struck, a multi-vehicle collision took place.

She was transported to an area hospital where she later died. Fortunately, the driver of the car that hit the woman stayed at the scene of the accident and was not immediately charged.

It was not very clear why the woman was walking on the highway.

Wrongful Death Lawsuit Due To Police Excessive Force Settled

The issue of wrongful death and police brutality is one that is well-known in this country and sometimes it is not clear when and how to seek legal help. Recently, the mother of a man who passed away in police custody settled a wrongful death lawsuit with the city for $1.25 million.

This mom sought legal help and sued the city last year for the wrongful death of her son who died in police custody while he was high on angel dust.

The mother accused NYPD officers of using excessive force to restrain her son. The son was arrested after a cab driver had complained that he was acting erratically and screaming in the back seat of the taxi. His excessive force death led to his mother filing a petition on September 15, 2017, in Manhattan Surrogate’s Court.

It was revealed that the NYPD police officers placed him in a makeshift straitjacket because the man was fighting with the police as they approached him. The city medical examiner’s office ruled that the man’s death was a homicide brought on by “physical restraint by police during excited delirium.”

A Law Department spokesperson stated that it was determined that a settlement was in the best interest of all parties.