Scaffolding Accidents Can Leave Victims With Extremely Serious Injuries
New construction is a constant in New York City, and the past decade has seen a construction boom that is just starting to show signs of slowing down. While new construction can certainly benefit developers, construction workers, property owners, and others, it also puts workers and passersby at a risk of serious injuries caused by scaffolding accidents. Some of the more common serious injuries that people sustain in scaffolding accident include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crush injuries
- Severe soft tissue injuries
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
If you have been hurt in a scaffolding accident in New York, there’s a good chance that you’ll be able to recover compensation for your losses. To find out more, call our office today to schedule a free case evaluation with a construction accident attorney in NYC.
Scaffolding Accident Basics
Scaffolding accidents can take a variety of forms. They can occur when scaffolding itself collapses of fails due to poor construction or the use of substandard building materials, but can also involve construction workers dropping tools or building materials from heights.
When people who are working on or beneath scaffolding are injured because of safety violations, they are often able to hold the general contractor or owner of the site liable through New York Labor Law 240. In addition, injured workers may also be able to collect workers’ compensation benefits after a scaffold accident. Finally, passersby who are injured in scaffolding accident may be able to hold the at-fault party responsible by filing a personal injury claim.
Protecting Your Rights after a Scaffolding Accident
After a scaffolding accident, there are certain steps that injured victims should take to safeguard their rights. These include the following:
- Seek immediate medical attention. It's essential to have an official record of your injuries and their severity so that you can establish your losses when it comes time to make a claim.
- Do not accept any money from either the at-fault party or an insurance company before you get a chance to speak to an attorney. Once you settle your case, it’s nearly impossible to obtain additional compensation.
- If you are a construction worker, inform your employer about the accident immediately.
- Contact an experienced construction accident lawyer as soon as you can. An attorney can help you determine all of your legal options and make sure you get all of the compensation to which you are entitled. If you are a construction worker, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits and compensation through a personal injury claim, so it’s in your best interest to take the time to have a lawyer review your case.
Injured in a Scaffolding Accident? Call Our Office for a Free Consultation with a New York Construction Accident Lawyer
If you have been hurt in a scaffolding accident in the New York area, you should speak to an attorney as soon as you can. At Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, we have recovered more than $800 million on behalf of our clients and never collect legal fees unless we win your case. To schedule a free case evaluation with a lawyer, contact us online or call our office today at 212-285-3300.