Brooklyn DUI/DWI Accident Attorneys
Personal Injury Lawyers in Brooklyn Representing the Rights of People Injured by Drunk Drivers
Each year, drunk drivers kill hundreds of people on our streets. According to the Centers for Disease Control, 3,752 people died in a ten year period due to drunk driving, and hundreds of thousands of other people were injured. And these accidents have touched the lives of countless people in Brooklyn.
If you were injured, please contact Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman today. Our team can fight to get compensation for your injuries.
Drunk Driving is a Serious Crime
New York’s laws define driving while intoxicated (DWI) as:
- Driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 or higher
- Driving while incapable of operating the vehicle in a safe or prudent manner due to alcohol
As you can see, a motorist does not need to blow a certain number on a breath test to be charged with DWI. It is enough that their ability to drive has been sufficiently impaired due to alcohol. Proof can exist in the form of testimony from witnesses or from a police officer.
Impaired Driving is More than a Crime
DUI or DWI can result in criminal charges. But when someone has been injured by the drunk driver, then DWI is also a civil wrong called a tort. Tort victims are entitled to monetary compensation in the form of damages to make up for their losses caused by the accident.
DWI accidents can leave victims with mounting bills, including:
- Medical bills to treat their injuries. Many intoxicated motorists are driving too fast or take dangerous actions that can cause serious victim injuries. Some victims need surgery and many hours of rehab to try and regain their normal functioning.
- Lost wages. A bad injury can keep a worker away from their job for months, resulting in loss of income and intense financial strain as victims and their families try to pay their bills.
- Property damage. Any damage to your vehicle involved in the crash must be repaired. Bad DWI accidents often total a person’s vehicle.
Victims can also be left in considerable pain due to the DWI crash. They could suffer broken bones, concussions, back injuries, and other painful, debilitating conditions that make the tasks of daily living excruciating. This reduced quality of life also deserves financial compensation.
Punitive Damages Might Be Available
The damages listed above are compensatory in nature. Generally, their purpose is to return the victim to the financial condition she or he would have been in had the accident never occurred. The more badly injured a victim is, then the more he or she typically receives.
Punitive damages are different from compensatory damages. They are meant to punish a defendant for engaging in abhorrent behavior. Typically, punitive damages aren’t available unless the defendant acted with recklessness, gross negligence, or wantonness. Any behavior that exhibits a conscious disregard for the rights of others also could be subject to punitive damages.
Under this standard, an intoxicated driver could pay punitive damages. However, insurers typically do not pay punitive damages, so obtaining them calls for a seasoned lawyer’s experience.
Call Us Today to Schedule a Consultation with a Brooklyn DWI Accident Attorney
If a drunk driver has injured you, you are not alone. The lawyers at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman can be reached at 917-268-0344, or you can fill out our contact form.