Bronx Uber Accident Attorneys
Uber Accident Lawyers in the Bronx Committed to Helping Victims Recover Compensation
Uber accidents – and other rideshare accidents – are somewhat different than other kinds of car accidents and require a bit more attention. The fact is that Uber drivers are independent contractors, which means that they’re not actually employees of Uber itself, and this allows the massive rideshare company to wiggle out of a significant amount of liability when it comes to Uber accidents. If you’ve been injured in an Uber accident, speak with an experienced Bronx personal injury attorney today.
A Bit about Uber
Uber faced some pretty serious safety issues right out of the box. The company’s business plan was fast and loose to begin with, but over the years, it has taken several steps to improve customer safety. Some of the safety concessions Uber has made so far include:
- They have improved background checks on drivers and have implemented them more consistently.
- They have added a 911 button directly to their app.
- They’ve also added a feature in which you can allow a trusted contact to follow your precise location as you travel to your Uber destination.
- They’ve made it far easier to identify your Uber driver and the car he or she will be driving.
While Uber has made some serious efforts to increase the safety of its passengers, it’s important to recognize that it did so only after encountering harsh criticism and facing serious consequences.
Your Uber Ride
When you get into your Uber ride – the one you conveniently conjured via that app on your phone – you’re putting your safety into the hands of an unknown driver in an unknown vehicle. Uber drivers are independent contractors who drive their own cars – this means you know little about the driver’s skill or the reliability of his or her vehicle. While taxis are by no means infallible, the drivers are screened and the vehicles are maintained and inspected by the taxi company. This means that, if you are injured in a cab accident, you can go after the cab company, but that isn’t the case with Uber accidents.
Your Uber Accident
Uber now carries insurance coverage on its Uber drivers, but even this is complicated, including:
- When Uber drivers aren’t on the app and are simply driving for themselves, they are covered only by their own insurance and any accident will proceed as if the driver is not an Uber driver.
- When an Uber driver is on the app but has no passengers at the time of the accident, the insurance coverage comes from the driver’s personal coverage, but Uber has a policy in place to make up for some overages.
- When an Uber driver is on the app and is carrying passengers (or a passenger) at the time of the accident, both the Uber driver and the passengers are covered under Uber’s one-million-dollar liability policy. If the other driver isn’t insured or is underinsured, Uber has an additional policy to cover his or her damages.
Call Today to Schedule a Free Case Evaluation with a Bronx Uber Accident Lawyer
Uber accidents are nothing if not complicated, but the dedicated personal injury attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman – proudly serving the Bronx – are here to help. For more information, please don’t hesitate to contact or call us at 917-268-0344 today.