What You Should Do After a Slip and Fall Accident on Snow or Ice in NYC
The winter season brings with it the buildup of ice and snow all over NYC. With this buildup also comes an elevated risk of slip and fall accidents. If you get hurt when you slipped and fell due to snow or ice in NYC, here’s what you should do:
- Get medical attention as soon as possible. Call 911 if necessary.
- Report your slip and fall accident.
- Document the accident scene if you can. Take detailed photos and videos. If applicable, get statements from witnesses.
- Don’t give out statements to the property owner, their lawyer, or their insurance provider.
- Consult with a skilled NYC slip and fall accident lawyer immediately, preferably before talking to the liable party’s lawyer and insurance provider.
Slip and Fall Accidents Involving Snow and Ice
For areas that get snow and ice buildup, property owners have a legal duty to ensure that these areas, like sidewalks, walkways, and parking lots, among others, are safe for everyone. This means eliminating the hazardous buildup and other dangers, like potholes. The law states that property owners must make necessary repairs and remove ice and snow from pathways within a reasonable amount of time.
For instance, if you slipped and fell on an icy walkway leading to a grocery store during a snowstorm, the property owner won’t likely be responsible for your injuries. However, if the accident occurred several days following the snowstorm, the owner may be held liable for you’re your injuries for failing to fix the hazards in a timely manner.
Likewise, some icy or snowy areas may have resulted from an individual or entity’s negligence. For instance, if a leaking pipe caused a buildup of snow or ice, the property owner may be held responsible for any injury directly caused by the leaking pipe.
The Importance of Having a Slip and Fall Lawyer By Your Side
The fault for slip and fall accidents is not typically clear. Property owners and insurance providers also do not readily accept legal accountability for accidents unless there’s clear evidence for their liability. It’s likewise common for defendants of slip and fall claims to argue that the victim’s injuries and related losses are not as bad as the victim is claiming.
But with legal representation, your NYC slip and fall lawyer can:
- Examine the accident site and collect all the necessary evidence to determine how and why exactly you slipped and fell.
- Prove that the property owner was more likely than not negligent, and their negligence contributed to or directly caused your injuries.
- Prove the extent and nature of your injuries and related losses to establish liability and ensure that you receive fair compensation.
Reach Out to Our Skilled NYC Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Now
If you or a loved one has sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident, the experienced NYC slip and fall accident lawyers of Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman are ready to assist you. They can answer any questions you may have and file a personal injury claim to pursue the compensation you deserve. Schedule your free case evaluation by calling 212-285-3300 or reaching us online.