Can Lane Confusion Cause Construction Work Zone Accidents?
Yes, lane confusion can result in construction work zone accidents in NYC. A properly planned and implemented construction work zone is vital for the safe passage of pedestrians and motor vehicles during construction and maintenance activities on NYC roadways. They can be set up in place for just a couple of hours for moving traffic around accidents or for years during complex long-term construction projects.
The essential elements of a safe construction work zone must:
- Reduce motor vehicle speeds
- Provide clear guidance to help motorists and pedestrians navigate construction work zones safely, whether they’re approaching one or driving within the site
- Have proper worker protection, including the use of concrete barriers and truck-mounted impact attenuators
But because of unexpected changes, construction activities, confusing signage, lane confusion, and narrow lanes, construction work zones can be susceptible to motor vehicle collisions and pedestrian crashes.
What Causes Construction Work Zone Accidents in NYC?
When traffic accidents take place in construction work zones, they may result from:
- Lack of proper planning when developing the Maintenance and Protection of Traffic Plan (MPT) and not considering existing traffic conditions, which results in failure to eliminate conflicts or confusion that road users may experience.
- Failure to anticipate potential hazards when designing MPT plans.
- Omissions or mistakes in MPT plans, such as not using the applicable, current, or appropriate standards for the work zone layout or potential hazards.
- Insufficient communication to motorists and pedestrians, such as lack of adequate or proper lane markings or signs within or as they approach the construction work zone.
- Conflicting guidance, which causes pedestrians and motorists to follow the unintended and unsafe path.
- Deficient maintenance and inspection of the Temporary Traffic Control Devices (TTC). Consistent and timely construction work zone reviews and the use of appropriate TTC devices are crucial to ensure that MPT plans are working as intended.
All of these put the lives of construction workers, pedestrians, drivers, and passengers at risk. This is why proper planning, maintenance, and implementation of construction work zones must be consistently performed to ensure the reasonably safe passage of road users and road crews through the zone and provide proper protection to workers.
Talk to a Skilled NYC Personal Injury Attorneys Now
It’s important to note that not all accidents that occur in construction work zones are due to lane confusion and improper work zone planning because driver error or negligence may still cause traffic crashes. If you have suffered injuries in a construction zone accident, get in touch with Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman to learn more about your case.
By conducting a thorough investigation into your accident and relevant rules for construction zones, our NYC personal injury attorney can figure out the best possible options to pursue compensation for your losses and build a solid case on your behalf as you focus on recovering from your injuries. You can set up a free evaluation of your case with our NYC personal injury attorney by calling our office at 212-285-3300 or filling out our online form.