Can a Company Be Held Liable for a Death on Their Property?
If your loved one is fatally injured on commercial property due to the company’s negligence, the company can be held liable for the wrongful death claim. Companies are responsible for maintaining their premises in the reasonably safe condition that is necessary to allow for their guests’ and visitors’ safe passage, and when they fail to do so, they can be held responsible for any accidents that ensue, including deadly accidents. If you’ve lost a loved one due to a company’s negligence, don’t wait to reach out to an experienced New York City wrongful death attorney.
Premises Liability and Wrongful Death Claims
If your loved one is injured by a company’s negligence, it is a premises liability claim, but if your loved one ultimately succumbs to his or her injuries, it becomes a wrongful death claim, and you can hold the company in question responsible for its negligence. While no amount of compensation can ever replace your loved one or erase the losses you suffer, just compensation can help you and your family move through the grieving process toward healing.
Common Premises Liability Claims
While premises liability claims in which a visitor is harmed by a company’s negligence can come in many different forms, some of the most common include:
- Slip and falls due to spills, poorly maintained floors, slippery floor coverings, tripping hazards, and more
- Accidents caused by inadequate maintenance, such as poorly maintained stairs, handrails, elevators, escalators, and more
- Injuries caused by falling objects, such as when part of a building or area is under construction or when some part of a building is in such bad repair that it leads to falling debris
- Inadequate security that makes dangerous, violent crimes more likely
Who May File?
In New York, the decedent’s personal representative (or executor) must file the wrongful death claim on behalf of the decedent’s survivors. If the decedent does not have a will that assigns a personal representative, the court will designate one. It’s worth noting that the representative can be a family member but is not required to be.
The damages you can seek in your wrongful death claim include:
- The funeral and burial costs for your loved one
- Your loved one’s final medical expenses – as they relate to the fatal injury
- The financial support your family has lost
- The value of the services your loved one would have contributed to your family had he or she lived
- The value of your loved one’s lost parenting, nurturing, care, and guidance (for his or her surviving children)
Don’t Delay Consulting with an Experienced NYC Wrongful Death Attorney Today
The New York City wrongful death attorneys at Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman have a stellar track record of successfully guiding wrongful death claims like yours toward optimal outcomes that support our clients on their personal journeys toward healing. Your claim is important, so please don’t wait tocontact us online or call us at 212-285-3300 today.