LOCAL
212-285-3300
Injury Lawyers
En Español
LOCAL
212-285-3300

05 January 2018

PERTH AMBOY: Marbely Bruno Killed In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident In Apartment Building on Fayette Street; 41 Other People Injured

Multiple People Sickened: Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident Injured 41 People In Perth Amboy Apartment Building on Fayette Street; Marbely Bruno Died In Gas Leak

Perth Amboy Gas Leak Killed Marbely Bruno and Left 41 People Sick In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident; Please Support the Family of The Girl That Died By Donating To The Go Fund Me Page Set Up For Her 

PERTH AMBOY, NEW JERSEY (January 4, 2018) – A 13-year-old girl was tragically killed and 41 people were injured in a carbon monoxide poisoning accident in a Perth Amboy apartment building on Fayette Street.

Perth Amboy authorities have been able to identify the 13-year-old girl that died as Marbely Bruno.

Marbella Morales, who is a resident of the building said that the carbon monoxide detector never made a sound.

Marbella Morales told reporters that she was able to escape after someone rang on her doorbell. She witnessed an unconscious woman being carried out of the building.

A number of people were listed in critical condition after the gas leak including relatives of Marbely Bruno who tragically died.

Twenty-seven police officers also had to be taken to the hospital to receive treatment for carbon monoxide exposure.

Authorities in Perth Amboy are saying that a clay liner in the chimney collapsed and blocked the carbon monoxide from escaping.

A Go Fund Me Page has been set up for the family of Marbely Bruno.

LIABILITY IN CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING ACCIDENTS

Generally speaking, property owners have a common law responsibility to maintain reasonably safe premises for the guests and tenants that are in their buildings. In New Jersey, all multi-unit private structures are required to have carbon monoxide detectors. And those detectors should be in good repair. If a carbon monoxide detector fails to go off, the property owner or the manufacturer of the unit may be liable. In addition to liability on the part of the property owner, if a fuel burning appliance malfunctions and emits carbon monoxide, the manufacturer of that product may be held liable. Any person that is injured with carbon monoxide poisoning may be able to file a claim to cover their medical care, lost wages as well as pain and suffering.

Our staff at Lipsig Lawyers were deeply saddened to learn about the tragic carbon monoxide poisoning accident at the apartment building in Perth Amboy that killed Marbely Bruno and left 41 people injured. We extend our thoughts and prayers to all of those that have been affected. There needs to be a thorough investigation into what happened for the sake of all of the residents. Steps need to be put in place to make sure that something like this doesn’t happen again. Residents affected by the Perth Amboy carbon monoxide poisoning accident may be able to seek shelter through Air B & B’s Free Open Homes Program. A number of hosts have opened up their homes to help people affected by natural disasters and other factors. We also encourage anyone that can to donate to the Go Fund Me Page Set Up for the girl that tragically died.

If you or someone that you love has been injured or killed in a carbon monoxide accident and need support, you may have legal recourse. Our team of highly experienced carbon monoxide accident attorneys are here to help in any way that we can. Whether you just have questions about your rights or are looking to hire an attorney, you’re always welcome to reach out to us if you need help (646) 846-4496.