Mahfoz Shaba Died In Fatal Apartment Fire Due to Smoke Inhalation and Burns
EGGERTSVILLE, NEW YORK (April 11, 2018) – A 46-year-old man from Amherst tragically died after he was pulled out of his apartment.
Eggertsville police have been able to identify the man that died in the apartment building fire as Mahfoz Shaba. Firefighters and paramedics rushed to the scene of the two story apartment building in order to assist the man.
Mahfoz Shaba was able to be pulled out of the building, but he was later pronounced dead after he was taken to ECMC.
LIABILITY IN APARTMENT FIRES
Building owners have a responsibility to maintain a reasonably safe premises for the guests and visitors that stay there. There are steps that property owners should take in order to reduce the likelihood of fires. For example, electrical cords should be in good working condition. Apartments should be free of flammable materials like gasoline canisters. Doorways should be unobstructed and smoke alarms should be checked regularly to make sure they are working. When a property owner violates the fire code and this leads to an accident, they may be held liable. Any victim or their family could potentially file a claim for damages.
Our staff at Lipsig Lawyers were deeply saddened to learn about the tragic apartment fire that killed Mahfoz Shaba. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim’s family as they are going through such an incredibly difficult time. It is our sincere hope that investigators examine what happened carefully and take the necessary measures to prevent this from happening again.
If someone that you love has been injured or killed in an apartment fire, you may have legal recourse. Our team of highly experienced personal injury attorneys are here to help in any way that we can. Whether you’re looking for answers after an accident, need a police report or just have questions about your rights you’re always welcome to reach out to us if you need help (646) 846-4496.