LOCAL
212-285-3300
Injury Lawyers
En Español
LOCAL
212-285-3300

09 January 2018

AUGUSTA: Lori McMillan and Jim Sabines Injured In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident Blamed On Malfunctioning Coal Heating Stove

AUGUSTA: Lori McMillan and Jim Sabines Injured In Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Accident Blamed On Malfunctioning Coal Heating Stove

Malfunctioning Coal Heating Stove Is Being Blamed For Carbon Monoxide Gas Leak That Injured Lori McMillan, Jim Sabines And Their Family 

AUGUSTA, NEW YORK (January 8, 2018) –  A family became seriously ill after they were exposed to a high concentration of carbon monoxide in their home on Sharmin Road.

Augusta authorities are saying that the family of six  called 911 after experiencing nausea and severe headaches on the second floor of their home.

Friends of the mother injured in the gas leak have been able to identify her on Facebook as Lori McMillan as well as her fiance Jim Sabines .

Firefighters arrived at the house in order to save Lori McMillan, Jim Sabines and their family from the carbon monoxide gas.

When authorities first arrived they were overcome by gas, but were eventually able to enter the home and take the six people to safety. The family of six were taken to the hospital in order to receive treatment.

A malfunctioning coal heating stove is said to be the source of the carbon monoxide poisoning accident that injured Lori McMillan and her family.

PRODUCT LIABILITY IN CARBON MONOXIDE ACCIDENTS 

The companies that create consumer goods have a responsibility to make sure that they are safe and not likely to malfunction. When a company fails to design a safe product that causes accidents or injuries, they may ultimately be held liable. Coal heating stoves and other fuel burning sources occasionally malfunction and emit dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. This problem is compounded by the fact that most people keep their windows closed in the winter which may allow for dangerous levels of gas buildup. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, exposure to a high concentration of carbon monoxide may have adverse long term health consequences. Any person that is injured in an accident involving carbon monoxide exposure may be able to file a product’s liability claim for damages.

Our staff at Lipsig Lawyers were deeply saddened to learn about the tragic carbon monoxide poisoning accident that injured Lori McMillan and her family. We extend our thoughts and prayers to all of the victim’s as they continue to recover. We beg anyone that has fuel burning appliances in their home to install carbon monoxide detectors and to check the batteries regularly. Winter can be such a dangerous time of year for these types of accidents. Unfortunately, companies continue to manufacture and sell dangerous heating appliances that kill or injure dozens of people every year.

If you or someone that you love has been injured due to carbon monoxide exposure, you may have legal recourse. Our team of highly experienced carbon monoxide accident attorneys are here to help in any way that we can. Whether you just have questions about your rights or are looking to hire an attorney, you’re always welcome to reach out to us for help (646) 846-4496.