Lipsig, Shapey, Manus & Moverman, P.C.
40 Fulton Street
New York,NY 10038-1850
Phone – (212) 285-3300
1-(800)-9-LIPSIG (Toll Free)
Thomas J. Moverman
Tom Moverman established the firm with Harry Lipsig and his partners in 1989; he specializes in products liability and other complex cases. His cases often involve defective machinery, household and workplace products, motor vehicles and toxic drugs and chemicals. He actively represents construction workers who are injured by unsafe working conditions or equipment. Right after he started working for Harry Lipsig, he won several large verdicts against product manufacturers and was invited to write for a Products Liability textbook.
Mr. Moverman has been selected as a Super Lawyer every year for the past decade, receiving the prestigious distinction most recently in 2017. Super Lawyers recognizes the nation’s most-respected attorneys, highlighting legal representatives who have “attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.”
His clients have included the families of three women fatally burned by fuel from a gasoline tanker and a factory worker who lost his leg due to a defectively designed forklift. He presented computerized views of these incidents to explain the cases to the juries at trial.
He obtained one of the largest New York State courts libel verdicts, $6 million, for the victim of a crime who was wrongfully accused of “faking it”. One of his clients suffered a lower leg amputation when a drunk driver struck a parked car that then hit his client. The lawsuit we filed against the bar that served the driver alcoholic drinks involved scientific evidence of blood alcohol levels, the use of a “bartending instructor” as our expert witness and resulted in a significant settlement.
His clients include a group of workers who were lead poisoned during the re-construction of the 59th Street Bridge, an auto mechanic crushed when an automotive lift collapsed and the victim of a defectively-mounted slot machine stool who suffered a broken neck and then died. In a federal court action, he obtained a settlement for the family of a mechanic fatally injured while working to fix a machine that puts empty soda cans on wooden pallets.
“My client’s lives and families are the most important aspect of what I do. I hope the lawsuits that I bring and the results I obtain will allow them to try to restore themselves both physically and personally. Most of these actions help to make our environment and the workplace safer so that others will not have to endure these painful losses.”
Awards & Recognitions
Mr. Moverman is also an active and dedicated member of the New York City community. In 2008, he was recognized for his significant contributions to the community with a City Council Citation for Exemplary Service. The United State Secret Service honored him with a Certificate of Appreciation, recognizing his superior contributions to the law enforcement responsibilities of the Service.
- Super Lawyers (2008 – 2017)
- New York City Council Citation for Exemplary Service
- US Secret Service Certificate of Appreciation
- New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1979
- Brooklyn Law School, Brooklyn, NY
Recent Case Results
- $13 million – Our client was the victim of a violent attack at a shelter in this negligent security case. The trial lasted over two months and our client sustained horrific injuries to the spine.
- $6.4 million – 44 year old fell in mall parking lot hole caused by snow plow whose fractured elbow pain was ignored for over 24 hours by hospital and doctors causing severe compartment syndrome and loss of use of arm.
- $5.3 million – 55 year old worker at airport whose leg was caught in motorized air stair when worker ignored him coming down from parked airplane.
- $4.5 million – Obtained settlement after a jury was selected for our client who fell 15 feet when a ladder slipped out during construction work. Our client suffered injuries to both of his heels and needed surgery to both lower legs.
- $2.6 million – 26 year old construction laborer hurt knee and back due to fall through defective outdoor scaffold at roof renovation project.
- $2.4 million – 44 year old bus passenger was thrown from bus through the rear doors when driver omitted to put bus in park.
- $2.3 million – 37 year-old tourist from Guyana who fell down a flight of stairs due to a defective handrail and badly fractured his lower right leg.
- $1.8 million – 62 year-old business owner who was struck by a motor vehicle backing up across a crosswalk and suffered a mild traumatic brain injury.
- $1.6 million – 27 year-old Brooklyn resident who fell on a cracked sidewalk ramp in front of an apartment building and required several back surgeries.
- $1.5 million – 50 year-old construction laborer who fell from a scaffold and suffered back and ankle injuries.
- $1.2 million – 49 year-old electrician that fell from a ladder and suffered bilateral clavicle fractures and multiple rib fractures.